MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

STEP into the Spotlight – 2019 STEP Ahead Noms Close Friday, October 5

• 1.  STEP into the Spotlight – 2019 STEP Ahead Noms Close Friday, October 5

Posted 09-18-2018 17:02

The deadline is quickly approaching to nominate women in manufacturing for the 2019 STEP Ahead Awards. Is there a peer or colleague of yours who deserves national recognition and can encourage others to follow her lead? Visit www.themanufacturinginstitute.org/nominate to submit your nomination. 

The NAM's Manufacturing Institute's STEP Ahead Awards provide a national platform to honor women in manufacturing and celebrate their accomplishments so that we can inspire the next generation. Recognition of outstanding female leadership helps to empower the next generation of talent by shining a spotlight on successful role models they can aspire to. It is important to note, this program is more than just a ceremony to recognize accomplishments as manufacturers, it also honors individual contributions to the community.

This program is special to me because while I pursued STEM in college, I was deterred by the visible lack of success for females and chose not to pursue a STEM field after graduating. I was unaware of the existing women in the industry not just surviving, but thriving in their fields. Each year I am continually astounded by the extraordinary women in manufacturing that we have the honor of recognizing. This program raises the visibility of potential mentors to help inspire the next generation, and that's why STEP matters to me.

Nominations will close on October 5, 2018 11:59 EDT. Feel free to checkout the online Nominations Guide which includes helpful information on the nomination process.

------------------------------
    Serena Wong
    Associate, Industry Partnerships
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3166

• 2.  RE: STEP into the Spotlight – 2019 STEP Ahead Noms Close Friday, October 5

Posted 09-18-2018 17:33
    My name is Pamela Kan, president of Bishop-Wisecarver and 2013 STEP Ahead Honoree. I'm honored to have been a STEP Ahead inaugural awardee and look forward to its continued success in bringing more diversity and strong talent to our industry.

STEP Ahead matters to me because it showcases the benefits women currently provide to the manufacturing industry and thus, gives encouragement and inspiration to others considering careers in this area. While we have seen incremental change in the industry, programs like STEP Ahead help dispel the myths of manufacturing and provide important mentors and role models for the next generation of women.

Pamela Kan
    President
    Bishop-Wisecarver Corporation
    Pittsburgh CA
    (925) 439-8272