MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

Job Applications: 100% vs 60%

• 1.  Job Applications: 100% vs 60%

Posted 05-29-2019 11:54
    You've probably heard the following statistic: Men apply for a job when they meet only 60% of the qualifications, but women apply only if they meet 100% of them.

We've talked a lot about how we need more women in manufacturing, and especially in leadership roles, but there is a glaring issue we need to address, and this article articulates the need by advising:
     look for positions that will stretch you.

I'd also love to hear from anyone that applied for, and received, a role without being 100% qualified, and how successful you were in the role. 

Harvard Business Review remove preview
    You Don't Need to Meet Every Qualification to Apply for a Job
    Executive Summary One of your biggest concerns as a college graduate is landing your first job. But when you look at the qualifications in many role descriptions, you may worry that there's no way you'll get the job, never mind an interview. The reality is that you don't need to have all of the qualifications listed to apply.
    View this on Harvard Business Review >

------------------------------
    AJ Jorgenson
    AVP, Strategic Engagement
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3115

• 2.  RE: Job Applications: 100% vs 60%

Posted 05-30-2019 20:04
    I've been on both sides of the table of that quote: interviewing for a position, and the one doing the hiring.  On the interviewing side, I can distinctly remember being called by a recruiter early in my career in manufacturing to see if I was interested in a position for a National Sales Manager at company much larger than the one I was working.  I would inherit a team of 35 sales reps, versus the 7 I currently had at the time. In addition there was a large distributor network to manage, which I had zero experience for. I knew the product line, had a track record of success and I remember being excited by the opportunity, but was pretty sure they wouldn't hire me once they "really understood my experience". During the interview, which went really well...I still had this strange feeling  as I "waited for them to figure out I wasn't qualified for the job". They offered me the job at the first interview,  and it was a phenomenal position where i learned a great deal, and we accomplished a lot of really great things together. I never forgot that experience and never hesitated to go after positions I was interested in, no matter what the qualifications were.

I will also say I have interviewed many men and women during my career, for positions in all levels and departments of manufacturing. Men do generally come in more confident. If their skills are lacking in an area, they will assure me that their skills in other area will make up for this, and they are fast learners. Women don't wait for me figure out what skills they are lacking....they will point them out for me. However, they will almost always tell me they are also fast learners and they would be able to overcome this.This is a bit of a broad generalization...but the statistics ring true in my experience.

I will also say, that the differences are becoming less dramatic over time.  When I post a position for an engineer...just as many women will apply as men. it wasn't that many years ago I would get only 1 woman candidate to every 25 men that applied.  And that was true in most manufacturing positions.

I have two daughters...and while they are not headed into manufacturing (one is law, the other nursing- I know....I tried), I have repeatedly said to them, that you have to be your own best advocate....you are capable of accomplishing ANYTHING you want to, and if you bring that confidence, a positive attitude and willingness to learn and work hard...those soft skills will compensate for many, if not all missing bullet points that you think you have on your resume.

And the more we talk about this to the women entering the work force now, working for us, with us and around us...the easier it is going to be to build a strong team in the future for all of us.

Beth Swanson
    Pioneer Service Inc.
    ADDISON IL