MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

Discussion Post: What's the biggest lesson you've learned from a failure?

• 1.  Discussion Post: What's the biggest lesson you've learned from a failure?

Posted 06-13-2019 15:46
    "Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I've met people who don't want to try for fear of failing." ― J.K. Rowling

I've always loved this quote from J.K. Rowling, and it inspired today's discussion question!

What's the biggest lesson you've learned from failure?  Are there any failures in your life that have brought you to where you are now?  Tell us your story!

------------------------------
    Victoria Vaccari
    Director, Women's Engagement
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3404
    vvaccari@nam.org

• 2.  RE: Discussion Post: What's the biggest lesson you've learned from a failure?

Posted 06-14-2019 12:56

Failure is best defined as lack of success and as a recent graduate I know all too well how difficult it can be to balance your school work, and a job. There were times I found myself struggling to keep up and maintain because I allowed myself to fall off and this reflected in my work. It was easy to tell myself that I was failing but instead I begin daily reflections to help identify the problem, create a plan and execute it. This three-step process helped me successfully get through that phase. Failure is an opportunity to identify imperfections and work on it, it's a moment of self-reflection and most importantly an opportunity to learn and grow.

Safiatou Diallo
    Manufacturing Institute Intern
    Manufacturing Institute
    Sdiallo@nam.org

• 3.  RE: Discussion Post: What's the biggest lesson you've learned from a failure?

Posted 06-14-2019 13:36
    Edited by Mary Frances Holland 06-14-2019 13:37
    I completely agree! Failure has always been, while painful, a way to further identify what it is that I actually want. As a recent grad myself (University of Mississippi), my senior year was fraught with working hard towards applications for grad school scholarships and global business opportunities. None of which I was selected for. I found it hard to deal with these failures because I felt I could see so clearly how I wanted my future to be and how I thought I could get there. Tackling these failures has been about managing my expectations and realizing I still have a lot to learn about myself and the many industries that exist within the giant sphere of global business.

As a young professional just starting out in my career, I find it hard to navigate this "time in between" when I know what I would ideally like to be doing but am still not exactly sure how to get there. At the same time, I still want to be open to new possibilities that could change my career path in unexpected ways.

For the members in this group, would you mind answering these questions connected with failure?

How do you manage the gap between where you expect yourself to be and where you are now?

How do you remain open to new things while staying on course to your career goals?

Mary Frances Holland

Communications and Brand Strategy Intern
    mholland@nam.org

• 4.  RE: Discussion Post: What's the biggest lesson you've learned from a failure?

Posted 06-18-2019 15:13
    My lesson is if it doesn't fit you, don't force fit yourself.