MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

Discussion Post: May is National Teacher Appreciation Month -- tell us about a teacher that empowered you and helped shape your career in manufacturing!

• 1.  Discussion Post: May is National Teacher Appreciation Month -- tell us about a teacher that empowered you and helped shape your career in manufacturing!

Posted 05-02-2019 09:33
    May is National Teacher Appreciation Month -- tell us about a teacher that empowered you and helped shape your career in manufacturing.

------------------------------
    Victoria Vaccari
    Director, Women's Engagement
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3404
    vvaccari@nam.org

• 2.  RE: Discussion Post: May is National Teacher Appreciation Month -- tell us about a teacher that empowered you and helped shape your career in manufacturing!

Posted 05-02-2019 13:41
    My 8th grade social studies teacher, Mr. Steiner, had the biggest impact on my future.

He was the first teacher to ever challenge me -- not only in my studies and theories, but in personal growth.  He was the one who questioned the why and how in learning, and refused to settle for status quo.

One day in 8th grade, I came to school for the first time in a Boston Brace (I have scoliosis), and as a teen, the whole ordeal was mortifying, even if it was mostly hid under my attire. As a good student, most of the teachers instantly gave me an extra break - not mentioning any late assignments or an change in my attitude.  I knew, instantly, that if I wanted to, I could use my brace as not only a physical crutch, but as a mental one as well.

Mr. Steiner called me out.  He told me he expected more; that I had to overcome both personal and academic challenges.  His honesty, his candidness, and most importantly his caring inspired me to never take the easy road.

That same advice has played a critical role in my development, both while in the R&D role I played at Mars, and in my current role supporting the industry.

AJ Jorgenson
    AVP, Strategic Engagement
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3115

• 3.  RE: Discussion Post: May is National Teacher Appreciation Month -- tell us about a teacher that empowered you and helped shape your career in manufacturing!

Posted 05-08-2019 11:48
    Bob Swanson.    In U.S. History we reenacted what the Presidential Advisory Meeting(s) might have been like during the determination of dropping the atomic bomb during WWII.   I was elected, and encouraged by Bob, to carry the responsibility of being Harry S. Truman listening to days of arguments, considerations, presentations and proposals from both the side that supported the supply embargo and those that felt the bomb was the only logical next step.   My Presidential Leadership Team was split right down the middle; so the decision was left to me as to the fate of the country.  I remember some sleepless nights mulling over my decision and ultimately decided in kind with President Truman despite compelling arguments on 'the other side".

It taught me great lessons I carried forward for many years.

Doug Cullen
    Manager of Career Services
    Pinkerton Academy & NH Biz Connect
    Derry NH