MFG Women

The Impact of the STEP Ahead Awards

• 1.  The Impact of the STEP Ahead Awards

Posted 09-03-2019 09:50

As chair of this year's STEP Women's Initiative, and a STEP Ahead alum, I wanted to share a personal note about the impact of the STEP Ahead Awards and encourage you to submit a nomination.

When I joined Smithfield, I began a career in two challenging, male-dominated industries-manufacturing and agriculture. It was-and remains-important to me to contribute to a more inclusive world through actions that serve as an example to my children, to your children, and hopefully many more in the future; a world where there is no glass ceiling.

I was honored to receive the STEP Ahead Award in 2016, and to become part of such an amazing list of role models and mentors sending a powerful message about women in manufacturing. Together, we can inspire the next generation to pursue careers in a more diverse, stronger manufacturing industry. 

But it takes action, on my part and yours. From engaging in our community, to attending a STEP Forward event, mentoring a young girl and participating in your company's women's focused ERG, we all have to do our part.

The first STEP is the easiest, and it begins with promoting the role models already in our industry. Please nominate a woman in manufacturing who you think has made a notable impact.

------------------------------
    Keira Lombardo
    Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs
    Smithfield Foods, Inc.
    Smithfield VA
    757-365-3000
    ------------------------------