MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

Introduce Yourself Here!

• 1.  Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 03-18-2018 20:30
    ​​

My name is Chris Miner and I'm the Vice President of In-Service Aircraft Carrier Programs at Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding.   Last year I had the honor of participating on a panel at the STEP Forward event in Hampton, Virginia with other leaders in manufacturing.  This year, I am excited to participate as a champion for the recently launched MFG Women online community platform. 

As a young engineer 35 years ago, my never wavering passion for shipbuilding was fueled by my first assignment testing propulsion systems on new fast attack submarines.  It was there I learned what it meant to be part of something larger than myself, and to be part of a team that together can accomplish great things.  After we took that submarine out to sea to test our work, I was hooked and have always considered it a blessing to be part of such a great team and the shipbuilding industry.  

As I've progressed in my career, I've realized how important it is for leaders to share their stories, their passion and their experience with the young women and men who are our future.  They will be the ones to continue transforming our manufacturing businesses, and it's our responsibility to help them innovate and grow well into the future. 

On a personal note, my wife is also a shipbuilder and we are the proud parents of three girls, who are now young adults. Although they do not work in manufacturing, I believe platforms like this are critical for advancing women in industry – whether it's shipbuilding, manufacturing or other businesses. I look forward to this forum and am excited to be part of the conversation!

------------------------------
    Chris Miner
    Newport News Shipbuilding

• 2.  RE: Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 03-25-2018 19:49
    ​Hello Women! My name is Myriam Gateault and I am a Process Control Technology Engineer, working at Covestro LCC in Baytown, Texas.

I am thrilled to be one of the Emerging Leaders Honorees at the 2018 Women in Step Ahead Ceremony.
    What inspired me to enter the manufacturing world was my strong aptitude in math coupled with a passionate push from my mother. Today, I am demonstrating a strong desire to "pay it forward" by encouraging girls in science, by volunteering for STEM events where I was serving as a model to inspire young women to consider careers in STEM.

As a newcomer to the US, I am developing, promoting, and supporting solutions to solve the needs of my local community, by been for example the United way coordinator lead under my department. In addition to my dedication to the i3 (ignite, imagine, innovate) Covestro program which promotes STEM education, I worked with Greenlight for girls NASA event. When Hurricane Harvey sadly impacted Houston area, I had no doubt on providing weeks of support by helping to solve the needs of my local community.

The best part of my job is when you can feel the chemistry while we create products through teamwork. We are continuously working to make the world a brighter place! It becomes a magical power that makes us feel curious, courageous and colorful. I would love to introduce everyone to the world of manufacturing and get a taste of this enchanted world! Manufacturing is our way to convert raw materials into magical products that will illuminate your life.

Looking forward to meet you all!

Myriam Gateault
    Process Control Technology Engineer
    Covestro, LLC
    Baytown TX
    281 217 7897

• 3.  RE: Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted 03-26-2018 09:52
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Phyllis Rhodes and I am a Project Director at R Systems NA, Inc. I work in the field of technology that supports the amazing manufacturing work that many of you do. Our clients use simulation engineering in their design and manufacturing processes. Simulations often require a great deal of computational power, so clients who prefer not to own and operate large numbers of expensive servers requiring a specialized systems engineering skill set, will come to R Systems to run their simulations in our high performance computing (HPC) environment. Our HPC expert systems engineers make supercomputing accessible and user friendly to clients who prefer to focus on their manufacturing and design challenges. It is my job to learn from all of you how we can best support your manufacturing projects and add value to your businesses.

I look forward to meeting many of you at the Step Ahead awards next month.

Phyllis

Phyllis I Rhodes
    Project
    Director
    phyllis@r-hpc.com | rsystemsinc.com | 917-539-1178