MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

• 1.  Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

Posted 20 days ago
    How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career? 

------------------------------
    Victoria Vaccari
    Director, Women's Engagement
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3404
    vvaccari@nam.org

• 2.  RE: Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

Posted 20 days ago
    Victoria!
    What an incredible question!  Grit is getting out of your comfort zone and pushing forward and is how you get mentally tough.  In manufacturing, when we are faced with uncomfortable or difficult situations, grit gets you through to focus on the task at hand!  Thank you for your continued engagement - we need more Women of Industry X.0 with grit!  Grace Perry, Founder of "See Her Build"

Grace Perry
    Founder, See Her BUILD!
    PTC/ See Her BUILD!
    Needham MA

• 3.  RE: Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

Posted 17 days ago
    Grit-Persevering in a physically, emotionally and psychologically challenging manufacturing work environment, where few women are found.

Examples:
    1)  Male counterparts intentionally starting personal rumors about you to make you less effective and to make you question your self worth and abilities.
    2) Peers and even superiors who constantly question your resolve and accuse you of improprieties, usually based on rumors and not fact (see item 1).
    3)  Enduring chauvinistic and sexist comments in meetings and in personal encounters.
    4)  Being given job assignments with no resources and constantly having your work group with minimal resources reorganized and even degraded.
    5)  Receiving sexually explicit photos and innuendos (sometimes anonymously and sometimes overtly).

Leverage:
    1)  Standing up to the bullies and those that work to discredit and harm you.  Shows your strength, experience and resolve.
    2)  Not quitting, in spite of a very arduous work environment. same as 1)
    3)  Working with others proactively to change the culture.  Provides a strong female role model for other women in the same environment.
    4  )Not having an emotional breakdown in spite of the barriers and challenges (at least not in public or in front of them).  If you do need to have an emotional release, find a safe place to do so.  (I allow my female employees to "let go" around me, but encourage them to maintain the best they can in the "rugged environment").  Although we shouldn't "have to" maintain our emotions, it often does imply to our male counterparts that we are "weak,"  which intends to motivate to do whatever they can to make you break down again.

Christella Chavez
    Director of Manufacturing Excellence
    AAON, Inc.
    Tulsa OK

• 4.  RE: Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

Posted 3 days ago
    I believe GRIT comes from knowing yourself and your value system.  You can respond to difficult situations if you know what you stand for and have commitment and conviction to stay aligned with that. This applies to any role that you might have including manufacturing and supply chain. Many people told me that I couldn't accomplish what I wanted in my 35 year career.  I tried to understand their concerns, but stayed true to myself and my goals and made it happen. Of course, I had support from others!  This is a part of having GRIT...leveraging others and giving back.

Valerie Young
    Retired 3M Supply Chain Executive

Valerie J. Young
    Vice President, Supply Chain
    3M Comp
    St Paul MN
    715-781-2216

• 5.  RE: Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

Posted 19 days ago

I love this question!!!  Grit is what keeps you moving forward when it feels like the world is pushing you back.  It's the instinct to get up and keep trying day in and day out.  It's an uncommon trait but I agree, we need more of it in Manufacturing.

Tara A Beck

Senior Manager, Skilled Workforce Development

Address: 800 E Beaty Street, Davidson, NC 28036 

Office: 704-655-5302 Cell: 704-467-9988

<a href=image002.png@01D217E5.55245600">

• 6.  RE: Discussion Post: How do you define grit? How do you leverage it in your manufacturing career?

Posted 17 days ago
    I define grit as being courageous on a continual basis.  I leverage this daily in my interactions with my managers, my peers, and to those who look to me for examples of how we should address issues or respond to situations.  I admit, I pick my battles.  The important step of having grit is knowing that change will occur despite the outcome. My grit supports my choice of how I react to those changes and how I approach the next challenge / opportunity.

Kathy Alma
    Quality Engineer
    Ingersoll-Rand