MFG Women

Expand all | Collapse all

Power of the Pack: Supporting Other Women in the Workplace

• 1.  Power of the Pack: Supporting Other Women in the Workplace

Posted 06-03-2019 14:37

How do we create the best workplace environment for ourselves and other women?  By supporting each other!  @Aneesa Muthana gave an incredible STEPx TED Talk at our last STEP Ahead Awards and shared her insight.

According to the Forbes article linked below, "New research in the Harvard Business Review finds that while both men and women benefit from having a network of well-connected peers across different groups, women who also have an inner circle of close female contacts are more likely to land executive positions with greater authority and higher pay, while there was no link found for the success of men in terms of the gender composition of their inner circles."

How do you make it your mission to support other women in manufacturing?  

Power Of The Pack: Women Who Support Women Are More Successful
    Forbes remove preview
    Power Of The Pack: Women Who Support Women Are More Successful
    We need to reverse the stereotype that women don't support other women. There is research that shows women in particular benefit from collaboration over competition. Here is advice from women leaders on how to find and cultivate a close network of female professionals.
    View this on Forbes >
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelleyzalis/2019/03/06/power-of-the-pack-women-who-support-women-are-more-successful/#205553be1771

​​

------------------------------
    Victoria Vaccari
    Director, Women's Engagement
    The Manufacturing Institute
    Washington DC
    202-637-3404
    vvaccari@nam.org

• 2.  RE: Power of the Pack: Supporting Other Women in the Workplace

Posted 06-04-2019 12:15
    Edited by Shayla O'Keeffe 06-04-2019 12:14
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. In my previous experiences, I've seen coworkers who don't have that support system and it just seems a lot tougher on them, more lonely, less rewarding to succeed, etc. Although I'm somewhat newer in my current position/company and have just started to build those connections and support groups around me, I've seen it working for my peers and found it easy to jump right in on being part of their support-group. Personally, I already feel more empowered and confident than I did when I first started my career! Loved this topic; thanks for sharing!

Shayla O'Keeffe
    Communications Generalist
    Jabil